Tuesday 24 December 2013

06 December 2013 VULCAN!

Al's got a thing about the Vulcan, I know, I've told him he's an anorak but he won't have it, keeps going on about what a fantastic and unique piece of engineering it is.... yawn... wake me up when we get there!

Anyway, off to Doncaster it is then.  That's where you'll find 'Robin Hood Airport'  mmm yes I though that it would have been at Nottingham, or Sherwood Forest too!  It was origianly called RAF Finingley before it became Doncaster Airport and now Robin Hood.

Anyway, in the hanger is the last flying Avro Vulcan, (you know the type that bombed the Falklands?)  here it is;

I got to sit on the wing too.  In fact after sweet talking some of the ground crew I was able to get to other places that even Al wasn't allowed to go to!



Here's me on the wing...  It's a bit dark.  Al said something about me stealing all the light from the flash, prima donna or something - outrageous!






Anyway I got my own back when I met one of the engineers.  He asked me if I'd like to see some puppies, or at least that's what I thought he said... but anyway, he took me up into the cockpit.

 Seems that this is a very restricted place as the ejection seats have explosives in them so only specially trained people are allowed up there.  He must have liked me as he broke the rules and took me up.  When I asked him about special requests he said, with a twinkle in his eyes, 'you'd not believe what we get asked to do up here...' okay, time to step off your knee now!  Anyway, a couple of shots of me at the top of the entry ladder into the cockpit.

One last shot before we go..




It was only as we left that Al admitted he'd gone to see Concorde last week at Manchester Airport, but had forgotten to take me...

Like I say, total anorak!

























No comments:

Post a Comment